Crooked Goose Neck

ccrawf

Songster
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Springfield, Missouri
Ok, I have a question about a new gosling. He is an Emden goose and hatched about a week ago. Actually it took about 32 days of incubation and then I heard noise from the egg, but he didn’t pip for almost 24 hours. So them I violated the rules and cracked open the end of the egg with the air pocket and there he was. And yes, I did help him out of the egg.
During the incubation period, I ran at about 45% humidity, just what was naturally there. Once each day I would open the incubator (still air) and let it cool down for about 15 minutes, then I would mist the eggs and close it back up. The temp was set at 100.5 down at the bottom of the incubator, and obviously hotter closer to the top. I had 12 eggs I’d put in, 4 each week and this was the first set. I candled them several times and one egg from the middle bunch did not develop. At day 28, I put the first 4 eggs into the hatcher, also still air and set at about 98 degrees at the bottom. The other 3 eggs never pipped.
Anyway, the gosling was very weak at first and I had to feed him by hand. He also had leg problems with spraddle leg, so we did the band aid splint thing for a few days and he seems to be getting around well now. He is eating and drinking on his own and over all seems to be doing fine. Whether he is growing as fast as he should or could, I’m not sure and don’t think that is really important right now.
He has a twist in his neck that is not natural, and this is what I am worried about. These two pictures kind of show it, it twists to the back and to the side. It doesn’t seem to bother him much, if at all. So my question is has any one seen anything like this before? I am reluctant to put him down with out a better understanding of what it is and how it will affect him. If he survives he is destined to be a goose dinner, so I’m not worried too much.
Other information, the goose is one year old and the gander is 3 years old, both came from the local hatchery, so not sure if there is a genetic relationship or not. Of the 12 eggs I collected to hatch, 1 did not develop, 1 was this gosling, 3 failed to pip after developing, 3 are in the hatcher and should pip today or tomorrow, and 4 more should pip next week. Traditionally, I have had very poor luck with goose eggs, they develop but fail to pip. I was hoping this year with the change in procedures it would make a difference, but obviously still needs some improvement.
Any comments would be appreciated.

All i can say is he's a cute little fellow and i hope he makes it, and hope someone can actually help.

Ok, I have a question about a new gosling. He is an Emden goose and hatched about a week ago. Actually it took about 32 days of incubation and then I heard noise from the egg, but he didn’t pip for almost 24 hours. So them I violated the rules and cracked open the end of the egg with the air pocket and there he was. And yes, I did help him out of the egg.
During the incubation period, I ran at about 45% humidity, just what was naturally there. Once each day I would open the incubator (still air) and let it cool down for about 15 minutes, then I would mist the eggs and close it back up. The temp was set at 100.5 down at the bottom of the incubator, and obviously hotter closer to the top. I had 12 eggs I’d put in, 4 each week and this was the first set. I candled them several times and one egg from the middle bunch did not develop. At day 28, I put the first 4 eggs into the hatcher, also still air and set at about 98 degrees at the bottom. The other 3 eggs never pipped.
Anyway, the gosling was very weak at first and I had to feed him by hand. He also had leg problems with spraddle leg, so we did the band aid splint thing for a few days and he seems to be getting around well now. He is eating and drinking on his own and over all seems to be doing fine. Whether he is growing as fast as he should or could, I’m not sure and don’t think that is really important right now.
He has a twist in his neck that is not natural, and this is what I am worried about. These two pictures kind of show it, it twists to the back and to the side. It doesn’t seem to bother him much, if at all. So my question is has any one seen anything like this before? I am reluctant to put him down with out a better understanding of what it is and how it will affect him. If he survives he is destined to be a goose dinner, so I’m not worried too much.
Other information, the goose is one year old and the gander is 3 years old, both came from the local hatchery, so not sure if there is a genetic relationship or not. Of the 12 eggs I collected to hatch, 1 did not develop, 1 was this gosling, 3 failed to pip after developing, 3 are in the hatcher and should pip today or tomorrow, and 4 more should pip next week. Traditionally, I have had very poor luck with goose eggs, they develop but fail to pip. I was hoping this year with the change in procedures it would make a difference, but obviously still needs some improvement.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Nope, didn't make it. Today was a bad for him, was always on his back no matter what we did.
And as a result, or in addition to that, he wasn't eating and was getting weaker, couldn't hold his head up.
Think the bend in his neck was finally affecting his balance.
So had to put him down tonight. Sad day.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
I too, had a muscovy duckling that developed a crooked neck and still survives to this day. Looking back on the diet I would put vitamins in the water and feed duck starter for the food.
Though the chick feed will say it can be used for waterfowl, I would steer clear and use a duckling starter feed only.

Nope, didn't make it. Today was a bad for him, was always on his back no matter what we did.
And as a result, or in addition to that, he wasn't eating and was getting weaker, couldn't hold his head up.
Think the bend in his neck was finally affecting his balance.
So had to put him down tonight. Sad day.

So sorry you lost the lil gosling.
hugs.gif

Does anyone know what this problem is? I have a 9 day old brown chinese with same thing. Mine has been healthy and with 3 others that are healthy until this started today.

I wonder if your humidity was too low in the incubator? I have not hatched goose eggs in a long time, but I seem to recall them needing higher humidity levels than chickens. That might expalin the fact that your other eggs didn't hatch, and if they have problems in the egg a lot of time they will be not really healthy after hatching either. I'm sorry you lost your little one, I hate losing birds of any kind but I get especially attached to the geese.

I had 1 duckling out of 8 develop this condition this spring. She was hatched normal and developed this "S" curve in her neck after a couple weeks or so. All the ducklings were being fed Mazuri waterfowl starter and I started them out on water with poultry vitamins (Sav-A-Chick and I tried one made by Calf Manna) for an extra boost during the first few days.

When she developed this curve to her neck, I tried Poly-vi-sol, too, and that didn't help her. She seems healthy aside from her neck.

Some people have had good results using Poly-vi-sol WITHOUT iron, though. It might be worth a try.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom