Crooked Neck in Quail Chick

pterry97

Songster
Apr 5, 2021
Hi all,

whilst I was at work yesterday one of my quail chicks somehow injured their neck and I came home to find it at an angle to the side. It doesn’t seem to hurt them too much as they still forage and drink, and I can rotate their head gently between my fingers without noticeable distress.

I was hoping it was just a strain that would heal but it’s been a day and it still looks pretty bad. Everything online suggested wry neck with a vitamin boost solution, but I’m worried the neck will set in the wrong position as they mature. I tried using a cloth to make a collar to hold their head still but because they’re so small it just slipped straight off them. I’m wondering if there are better solutions to try and set the neck back.

They’re still very active and alert so sitting them still isn’t really possible, what’s my best course of action?

Attachments

• 3DCADA8E-A0EB-4DCD-BF8A-AD8E0040BBE6.jpeg
    3DCADA8E-A0EB-4DCD-BF8A-AD8E0040BBE6.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 10492ECA-0412-4978-8776-C7ED996F92C6.png
    10492ECA-0412-4978-8776-C7ED996F92C6.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
For wry neck, which can be due to a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, gebetics, or a head injury, most people treat with vitamin E and some B vitamins for thiamine for a couple of weeks. If the chick cannot get enough to eat and drink, you may need to feed it several times a day with some soaked crumbles. It either clears up or it doesn’t, and I would not splint the neck.

For wry neck, which can be due to a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, gebetics, or a head injury, most people treat with vitamin E and some B vitamins for thiamine for a couple of weeks. If the chick cannot get enough to eat and drink, you may need to feed it several times a day with some soaked crumbles. It either clears up or it doesn’t, and I would not splint the neck.
Will they be alright long term if it doesn't heal? They can still eat and drink right now but I'm concerned in case it get worse in the future. I did read somewhere that adding sunflower seeds and cat food can work for additional vitamins, is this okay or just internet malarkey? My local pharmacy doesn't sell liquid forms of vitamin supplements is all, only tablets.

If they can eat and drink fine they adapt amazingly well, the neck will likely stay on that position, don't try to reset it. The main concern is if it is a hen, she could be bullied or over-mated being easier to sneak up on. Have you had them on game bird starter? Sunflower seeds are an excellent option for vitamin E but too much can cause overheating with the fat content so just keep an eye out for excessive panting and offer before bed rather than mid day.

Human vitamin E 400 mg soft gels can be punctured and fed to a quail chick. Human vitamin B complex tablets 1/4 tablet can be crushed and fed in a spoonful of water or put in food.

Sunflower seed, tuna are good for vitamin E. Egg is good for selenium. Thiamine is in a lot of foods. But I would get the vitamins since only a a small amount would need to be given. Poultry NutriDrench and Poultry Cell 1 ml daily are good for vitamin E, thiamine, and the tiny bit of selenium that is needed, but I would probably give some extra E.

Human vitamin E 400 mg soft gels can be punctured and fed to a quail chick. Human vitamin B complex tablets 1/4 tablet can be crushed and fed in a spoonful of water or put in food.

Sunflower seed, tuna are good for vitamin E. Egg is good for selenium. Thiamine is in a lot of foods. But I would get the vitamins since only a a small amount would need to be given. Poultry NutriDrench and Poultry Cell 1 ml daily are good for vitamin E, thiamine, and the tiny bit of selenium that is needed, but I would probably give some extra E.
Hi there, exactly how much vitamin E and B complex per quail chick? I don’t want to over do it, but my quail chick has wry neck. Not severe yet.

Back
Top Bottom