Crooked neck or back on newly hatched quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jvin4974, Jul 5, 2016.

1. jvin4974

jvin4974 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    Hello! Just had a coturnix quail hatch and once it hatched it looked fine. But then the next day i noticed weird behavior, it doesn't lift up its head high and usually keeps its beak on the ground. Even when chirping. When it falls over it flails a little with its head curled inward towards its chest. Is this a problem with its neck or back? please help. It wont last long like this. is there anything that can be done?
    Also, whats the furthest time after the first hatch that other quails can hatch? I had one hatch on day 19 and need to know when to remove the eggs.

2. UniqueQuail

UniqueQuail Just Hatched

Jun 6, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Sounds like a back problem. Only thing to do is cull it. Better than starving to death. Sad fact. I had a high number of deformities this hatch. My humidity was to high during incubation.

3. jvin4974

jvin4974 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    hmm okay. It was eating today though. But yeah it does look pretty weak. Im assuming by cull you mean kill. Do you do the vinegar and baking soda method? thank you for your response!

4. UniqueQuail

UniqueQuail Just Hatched

Jun 6, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I just behead them with scissors. Its fast.

5. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    I currently hatch 100+ a week I cull/kill any chick that's not 100% healthy just pinch their neck and break it, sounds sad and cruel but has to be done. Lots of people leave their eggs in the incubator for 20 -21 days, I stop hatching eggs at the end of day 19. It has been my experience chicks that hatch after 19 days are the ones I cull the most.

6. jvin4974

jvin4974 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    Okay thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by