Crooked Neck?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hanne, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Hanne

Hanne New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Douglassville, PA
    First time chicken owner.

I've been raising ducks for about 4 years now, but unfortunately they draw hunters to our house located on the edge of a river. So we thought it would be a good time to switch over to chickens with the added benefit of fresh eggs.

We did a lot of research online and chose to get Barred Plymouth Rock chicks. I found a local store that was carrying them and went and picked out eight.

We brought them home and got them all set up and comfy in their temporary home until they're big enough to go outside.

I let them roam the run while I emptied out the dirty shavings and thats when I noticed one that has a bit of a crook to her neck. She seems to be eating and drinking alright but more tired than the others. Maybe a little difficult for her to scratch her nose because of the angle of her neck. Shes resting in my lap while the others run around.

Any thoughts on her chances of living out her normal life? She'll obviously be my favorite and get special treatment cause shes just too dang cute with her deformity![​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - if you can give the whole flock vitamin supplements / electrolytes it may help, but i would advise reposting your question in the "emergencies, diseases, injuries and cures" forum.

good luck

CT

3. Hanne

Hanne New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Douglassville, PA
    Thank you! I did find a few threads on this topic last night. I didn't realize it was so common. I thought maybe it was just the way she was in the shell.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    X2
    :welcome

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Wry neck is very common in silkies etc. Sometimes giving the chick Polyvisol infant drops (NO iron) 2 drops 3 times a day helps. Generally with wry neck the head droops between the legs, the chicks walk backyards, do back flips etc. You can also try gentle massage a few times a day where you, to get the neck into the proper position.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by