Crooked neck

Ckm

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2021
Virginia
One of my six week old RIR seems to have a crooked neck as if she can’t turn it to the right. She doesn’t stretch it as much as the others. She flaps her wings but I haven’t noticed her flying like the others. She is growing and otherwise seems fine. I read about wry neck but she isn’t looking up. She is the one in the center. Should I be concerned and if so, what can I do
CDB25653-3546-4D10-B701-B2A5788B6ACA.jpeg

There are many different manifestations of wry neck, not just "star gazing".

It can't hurt to give her vitamin E oil 400iu. The easiest way to dose a chick is to open the capsule and dump the oil into a spoon full of soft boiled egg. Get it all into her each day until the symptoms disappear, and then continue for another couple days beyond that.

One of my six week old RIR seems to have a crooked neck as if she can’t turn it to the right. She doesn’t stretch it as much as the others. She flaps her wings but I haven’t noticed her flying like the others. She is growing and otherwise seems fine. I read about wry neck but she isn’t looking up. She is the one in the center. Should I be concerned and if so, what can I do View attachment 2617161

Did she fall from her brooder or anything like that?
If not, could be a Vitamin E Deficiency classic symptoms .
I would recommend you to give small quantities of vitamin E (gel capsule) to her you can start of by half capsule and once she's fully grown 1 capsule .
If u can get a specific poultry Vitamin E Selenium then it will be perfect
Vitamin E will heal her issue of neck . Also provide Antioxidants that supply oxygen to her nerves

Did she fall from her brooder or anything like that?
If not, could be a Vitamin E Deficiency classic symptoms .
I would recommend you to give small quantities of vitamin E (gel capsule) to her you can start of by half capsule and once she's fully grown 1 capsule .
If u can get a specific poultry Vitamin E Selenium then it will be perfect
Vitamin E will heal her issue of neck . Also provide Antioxidants that supply oxygen to her nerves
No she did not fall so I will try the vitamin e. Thanks so much for your response.

There are many different manifestations of wry neck, not just "star gazing".

It can't hurt to give her vitamin E oil 400iu. The easiest way to dose a chick is to open the capsule and dump the oil into a spoon full of soft boiled egg. Get it all into her each day until the symptoms disappear, and then continue for another couple days beyond that.
I am confused about the vitamin e. Am I just getting vitamin e capsules for humans or is there a special vitamin e for chickens?

I am confused about the vitamin e. Am I just getting vitamin e capsules for humans or is there a special vitamin e for chickens?
Human vitamin E 400 IU softgels is what you need, and it is sold in most stores in the vitamin aisle. Some types of wry neck is caused by a thiamine (B1) deficiency. Any chick vitamin or human vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or food can help treat as well.

Head injury, genetics, or vitamin deficiency can cause wry neck in chicks. There possibly could be some spinal deformity as well, but I would use the vitamins for a couple of weeks to see if they help.

We took Jacky to the vets today and I was amazed at the thorough exam he gave her and how she let him. He thinks that she had an injury as otherwise she appears in great health and has good muscle control even with the turned neck. He doubts it will improve much but she is able to eat and drink fine and keeps up with the other chicks. She likes to rest a little more then the others but not by much. Thanks for the input.

Im sorry, but a Veterinarian cant just assume she is in great health if they don't test for the root cause if it. An external physical examination is about pointless to a wry neck. It could very well be a vitamin deficiency, or worse, so its unfair to say she's healthy and that it may or may not improve on it's own. Pleade continue (or start) Vitamin E at least

Yes. Please. Vitamin E cannot hurt a thing. It may prove transformational. I've had this experience in my own flock. Weird contortions, one dose of vitamin E for two days running, and completely back to normal.

We've had reports of very well meaning and compassionate vets not knowing much at all about chickens, completely miss the mark. Or worse, treat them in a manner that made things worse.

We may not be trained vets here on BYC, but collectively, you won't find this much experience in a vet's office.

Back
Top Bottom