Crooked necked ducks!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JordanEB, Sep 3, 2016.

1. JordanEB

JordanEB New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hello

Can anyone help with the above photo?! I have 3 ducks with necks like this, they were fine when I went to work the other day and by the time I got home this had happened?! My other 3 ducks are completely fine. I wondered if it was a mild form of botulism, as one of them seemed to be stumbling around acting drunk and wondered if she had had a seizure? They're all eating and drinking fine, and the wobbly one seems to have improved after they have all been drinking an erythrocin solution for poultry. But the neck are still crooked like this?

I have examined all of them for any kind of wounds and can find any. When I pick up the wobbly one she wiggles her legs fine, so I think this is a balance issue and not a leg injury. She was falling to one side a lot at first but has definitely improved now

Their pond water was due a change so I'm wondering if this could have caused it? When we emptied it this time we found a few eggs in the bottom so wondered if they've gone rotten and could have caused this?

any advice at all would help, I've never seen anything like this and Google doesn't come up with matching images!

Thanks!

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    looks like wry neck, needs vitamins and electrolytes and niacin/b3 (brewers yeast)

i would use poly-vi-sol (non-iron) in the baby section and make some electrolytes

Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks post #3876
    its good for more than just chicks

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    While it does look like wry neck, I'm more concerned that 3 had such fast onset symptoms... I would be more worried about botulism or some kind of toxin... activated charcoal would be good to give to flush out toxins...

@Amiga
    @Miss Lydia

Thoughts/ideas, please?

4. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    I thought with botulism they also had diarrhea, droopy eyes and leg paralysis? (i could be completely wrong though)

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

OP didn't say whether they had diarrhea or not, but not every symptom may present in every case... and *could be* a toxin of some kind instead of botulism... just seems too quick for wry neck to pop up in all 3 at the same time... to me that sounds more like something ingested that is causing the issues...

But I could be wrong as well... that's why I tagged Amiga and Miss Lydia, they're both much more knowledgeable in this type of area than I am... :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @JordanEB I don't think this is wry neck either especially since 3 have come down with it I am thinking some kind of toxin also here is a link to how to treat but please follow the info to the T. It sure couldn't hurt to treat them like this is what it is and maybe think Vet if they don't improve after treating. Please post back and let us know how they are doing. And yes rotten eggs in pool water could make for some nasty bacteria.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

2 people like this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree it's worth treating them for toxins . . . but something about that neck looks like an injury to me.

Are there other animals or (forgive me for asking) youngsters around them?

Just trying to think of all kinds of possibilities.

1 person likes this.
  8. JordanEB

JordanEB New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    No youngsters around them, and we have other animals but none of them can get close. I looked at wry neck, all 3 can still lift their necks and the do when standing, they just aren't straight like before?

They're pooing fine, eating and drinking fine. Eyes are normal and no leg paralysis, ones a bit wobbly but improved slightly on the antibiotics. When picked up her legs move fine, just sways when standing like she's drunk.

We considered someone shooting for fun (awful I know) but cannot find a single wound on any duck. And the chances of shooting 3 in the neck and not killing any are slim.

9. JordanEB

JordanEB New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Am I right in thinking they need to drink the Epsom salts? Don't think there'll be much use bathing them in it if it's something they have ingested?

Thanks

10. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    I think so, it would make them poop a lot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by