Crooked or curled toes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Glenmar, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I taped a chicks feet with curled toes. How long do I leave the tape on??
    thanks

2. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to do this on a chick once and left it on 2 days. Took the tape off to refresh it and the toes were good so didn't need to retape. So for me I only had the toes taped 2 days. [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    There is a lot of foot/leg info on PoultryPedia. The link is in my signature. [​IMG] Good luck!

4. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I taped my chickens feet flat to a little wafer of cardboard. They fell off after a couple of days, and I replaced them. My chicken's feet never straightened out, but she is doing just fine with her funky feet (14 months old). Just make sure the tape doesn't get to tight.
    I hope your chickens toes straighten out, but if they don't, things will be ok [​IMG]

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Thanks
    :d

6. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the cause of crooked toes in chickens?
    Most crooked toe conditions are either management or nutrition related. A lack of the vitamin riboflavin results in an inward curling of the toes and is called curled toe paralysis. Improper incubation temperatures will increase the incidence of crooked toes as will inbreeding. A few chickens with crooked toes (3-5 per 100) are not unusual. High yield meat-type birds will have more of a problem with crooked toes but this generally does not hurt the birds.

from the Kansas State University Animal Sciences & Industry department research and findings
    http://www.asi.ksu.edu/p.aspx?tabindex=555&tabid=1059

Thought i should share my discovery with the class [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by