crooked rump? now straight????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Aug 5, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have a silver ameraucana(about 3 weeks old) with a crooked butt(goes to the side). Didn't notice it until tail feathers started coming in. Is this common? Will try to get a pic later
    Krista
    edited to say it doesn't seem to be in any pain

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    never heard of that... maybe it's just the way the feathers are growing in?

Either way if it doesn't seem to be slowing down the chick at all, I'd let it be...

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I had a grey old english bantam with that exact same problem. He seemed perfectly normal except for that. We called him Crooked Charlie... [​IMG] He was a cute little feller.
    Never knew what caused it though.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My father-in-law has a 19 week old barred rock with a crooked tail. She's on the bottom of the pecking order and the least developed of the 5 barred rock hens.

5. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I have a young Black Copper Marans roo with sideways tail. He is fine, just crooked.

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    'Wry tail' is what the condition is called. Disqualification in a show bird, but should not hinder a pet or farm bird.

Matt

7. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Tail defects are more common than I used to think - but its mostly a disqualification in showing. I dont think "breeding" a bird with a known genetic defect (Bent will definitely be a bachelor) is a good thing, or the defect just gets passed on and on. But for pets, hey, it makes them look interesting!

I have a crooked chick, he's pretty extreme - his problem is because he was too large for his egg, upside down in the shell, and took a reeeaalllllyyyy long time to hatch, but he eventually did it on his own. It just bent him really bad. His left wing completey covers his back and over his right wing. Here he is:

Bent - (yes, that's his name) my disabled Black Copper Marans chick - funny looking but sweet.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Ok, so today I don't know which of them it was. I guess maybe it was a fluke thing?? They are all holding their tails correctly. [​IMG]

Krista

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by