Crooked Toe in 9 day old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StrawberryMoon, May 17, 2017.

1. StrawberryMoon

StrawberryMoon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2016
    Hi! I'm raising 23, 9 day old Salmon Faverolles. It's my first time with chicks, but I think it's going well so far! One of my babies hatched with a crooked toe. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems for her now, and I wasn't aware that there is a treatment for this problem until today! Is it too late for me to make her a splint? Will this likely cause her problems later in life?

Attached Files:

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Wow that is crooked. I think it is usually best if treated pretty early, but if you are willing, I would say give it a try. Is that toe flexible enough you can get it straightened out? If so, I would say tape it straightened out top and bottom into a little shoe and cross your fingers.... I love Salmon Fav's, keep us posted. :pop
    edited to say, I love using that VetWrap stuff. It sticks to itself but not skin or feathers which makes it much easier to check progress or change the wrapping.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  3. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    x2!

4. Gossie

Gossie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    I have a rooster that has a toe that is exactly like that, except on both feet. I got him as a older chicken and it was too late to fix his toe. If you can fix it, like said above, that would be great, but if not, she/he should be able to live a normal life, with a small limp.

StrawberryMoon likes this.
  5. StrawberryMoon

StrawberryMoon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2016
    Thanks everyone! I tried to repair the bent toe, but I was not successful. The toe had a little flexibility but was mostly rigid, and when I tried to straighten it the chick made a distress sound. I think it's too late. But I'm glad to hear she can probably have a normal life even with a bent toe!

6. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    Sorry it's too late. I hope that she does live a normal life even with a bent toe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by