crooked toe on suspected roo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bethandjoeync, May 5, 2009.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    When i was out in the coop yesterday we were putting bands on all the chicks legs so we can start tracking their sex and characteristics as they grow. anyways, we have two that we are pretty sure are roos, and I noticed one having a crooket toe. I never noticed it before, and i am pretty sure it hasn't been that way his whole(7 weeks) life (maybe just recently or something). it's not swollen, or red or any warmer than the rest of his leg. he seems to walk okay on it and roost and such. so my question is do you think this will make him look weak to the other roo that he is growing up with? he seems fully functional other than that darn toe I will have to get a picture of it today if I can catch him...he's quite fast

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

This may sound silly but are his nails too long?

3. bethandjoeync

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    no, it's permenant. I tried to see if it would bend back into the correct (straight) position and it didn't. I need to get a picture of him, but with the rain here, I haven't gotten around to it.

4. bethandjoeync

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    Here he is. it's his inside toe on his left foot (right side of picture)
    [​IMG]

close up of it. he was gripping the slick board so it's bent even more than usual. he bends it when he walks so I know it is functional.
    [​IMG]
    should i clip his nails? they don't seem to give him problems. he is normally walking around on the straw in the coop (rarely goes outside cause he's a scaredy roo)

should I leave it as is? there's no swelling or redness, and he doesn't limp at all

5. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Suspected Roo...makes it sound like one of those crime shows

Maybe it's a gang sign

[​IMG]

Sorry, had a local mini crisis. I wouldn't worry about unless he does.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. bethandjoeync

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    anyone else have suggestions?

7. bethandjoeync

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    bump

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Crooked toes have three real reasons for being there. Genetic - his parents threw the gene, incubation - chronically low incubation temps will cause crooked toe/s, injury you missed but that healed.

I have a couple chickens with one crooked toe, I won't cull those but will watch their young. I have one delaware cockeral who is otherwise very nice but he has FOUR crooked toes, two on each foot. He's out of the breeding program. A mixed presentation like his is more indicative of genes than incubation.

Your guy should be fine. Watch his progeny if any, and if they all or most of them have it. He'll need to be sold or culled.

Otherwise he'll be fine.

9. Bird Brain

Bird Brain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    If hes walking and roosting I wouldnt see any point in trying to fix it. I doubt he would like having his toe broken.

10. bethandjoeync

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    we got him from TSC so I don't know his parents. but i don't plan on breeding him. I'm not even sure he will make it to maturity, kwim? he may end up at the freezer farm.

I was just worried about him being overly picked on by the other roo(s). so far I think I only have one more roo, and he seems to be the alpha to this point, from the way he acts. although both of them are little scaredy roos lol, they're the worst screamers of all the little ones lol.

thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by