Crooked toe

Molly Mojo

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
Today I noticed a majorly crooked toe on one of my girls.

I picked her up and examined the toe. It doesn’t seem to hurt or impede her walking.

I was able to find an old thread that suggested Vitamin B-12 and I was able to get some from Tractor Supply.

I did mix some with their water, but gave the one with the toe some by beak.

Has anyone used vitamins to help with crooked toes? How long does it take to start seeing improvement?

I hope she will be ok and that I caught it quick enough to help Her before it affects her mobility.
6D3613A5-D5F2-4D7E-9EE1-6FFFE9E57433.jpeg
8F349EB6-EBCD-4CA3-94B0-F3D7C14DA935.jpeg

I was able to find an old thread that suggested Vitamin B-12 and I was able to get some from Tractor Supply.
I did mix some with their water, but gave the one with the toe some by beak.
Has anyone used vitamins to help with crooked toes? How long does it take to start seeing improvement?
It doesn’t seem to hurt or impede her walking.

How old is this bird?

Looks like at some point the toe was broken. If it's not bothering her, I would leave it alone. Check the toe and the bottom of her foot periodically for any indications of sores/bumblefoot.

B12 is Cobalamin. B2 Riboflavin is given to help chicks that may have curled toes at hatch or within the first week or so of hatch. Got a link to the old thread?

How old is this bird?

Looks like at some point the toe was broken. If it's not bothering her, I would leave it alone. Check the toe and the bottom of her foot periodically for any indications of sores/bumblefoot.

B12 is Cobalamin. B2 Riboflavin is given to help chicks that may have curled toes at hatch or within the first week or so of hatch. Got a link to the old thread?

She is 3 months old.

There are no sores or external indications of recent injury.

it’s definitely new. She is one that hops in my lap All the time.

I don’t have the link, but it came up in a google search, but was from a long time ago.

Should I try to splint it?
She can still grip my finger and hold onto a roost.

She did do a summersault later while free ranging, but that was because of the current pecking order establishment. She was running across the yard and one of the top girls jumped on her trying to get to whatever first. She just rolled and hopped back into a run.

At least I hope that’s what happened.

I think I’ll keep an extra close watch on her and check the toe often.

Will giving vitamin b hurt anything? I just added the lower recommended amount.

She is 3 months old.

There are no sores or external indications of recent injury.

it’s definitely new. She is one that hops in my lap All the time.

I don’t have the link, but it came up in a google search, but was from a long time ago.

Should I try to splint it?
She can still grip my finger and hold onto a roost.

She did do a summersault later while free ranging, but that was because of the current pecking order establishment. She was running across the yard and one of the top girls jumped on her trying to get to whatever first. She just rolled and hopped back into a run.

At least I hope that’s what happened.

I think I’ll keep an extra close watch on her and check the toe often.

Will giving vitamin b hurt anything? I just added the lower recommended amount.
Okay, after further research, I should have gotten riboflavin. Guess another trip to tractor supply.
Tractor supply is closer than Walmart! Lol

I’m thinking the Rooster Booster Poultry Cell. It has a variety of vitamins?
Poultry Cell is fine to give, for a couple of days.
IF this is "new" then she probably broke it.
If the toe does not easily straighten for splinting, then personally I would leave it alone.

Vitamins will not correct a broken toe nor will they correct crooked toes.

There is a difference between Crooked Toes (genetic defect, incubation issues, etc.) and Curled Toes (B2 Riboflavin) deficiency.
And then there of course is Injury - breaking or bending a toe.

Poultry Cell is fine to give, for a couple of days.
IF this is "new" then she probably broke it.
If the toe does not easily straighten for splinting, then personally I would leave it alone.

Vitamins will not correct a broken toe nor will they correct crooked toes.

There is a difference between Crooked Toes (genetic defect, incubation issues, etc.) and Curled Toes (B2 Riboflavin) deficiency.
And then there of course is Injury - breaking or bending a toe.

ok, call me crazy, but I just checked on her and now the knuckle and toe are flexible andnot as bent.

Yesterday it wouldn’t straighten out at all.

As long as it doesn’t seem to hurt or the other chickens aren’t bothering her, I’ll just watch her close.

Back
Top Bottom