Crooked toes came back

Silkie Princess

Crossing the Road
Jun 24, 2021
Slovakia, Europe
My Coop
My Coop
Harry, my BR cockerel had curled toes as a chick. I made a splint for him and he recovered. Now at 4 months old I noticed his toes are curled again. He's starting to limp and he layed on the ground all day today. That’s definitely not normal. What's going on?!

Screenshot_20220321_185624.jpg

Before treatment ^

Screenshot_20220321_185552_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

After treatment ^

Snapchat-836918047.jpg

Today ^

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

4 month old barred rock cockerel, always seemed thinner than others but crop is full at night

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
limping, screaming when I make him stand, laying in one spot for long periods of time
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I noticed this a week or so ago
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I have no idea
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
scratch grains, kitchen scraps and ocassionally layer pellets
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Ill have to look
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
nothing yet. Im thinking maybe taping his toes with painters tape?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
A vet is an option if necessary
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
above post
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
straw

Harry, my BR cockerel had curled toes as a chick. I made a splint for him and he recovered. Now at 4 months old I noticed his toes are curled again. He's starting to limp and he layed on the ground all day today. That’s definitely not normal. What's going on?!

View attachment 3032296
Before treatment ^

View attachment 3032298
After treatment ^

View attachment 3032300
Today ^
Maybe fixing the symptom didn't address the cause... IF it was caused by a nutritional deficiency in the egg standard chick feed might not be enough to help correct the issue. Unfortunately, so many things get worse not better with age.

Does he look like he's also standing a little valgus/varus..
https://www.merckvetmanual.com › poultry › noninfectio...

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
scratch grains, kitchen scraps and ocassionally layer pellets
This IS your problem IMO.

Improper nutrition.

The toes appear curled to the side not under. Toes curling under can be a sign of riboflavin (vitamin B 2) deficiency. But toes being crooked to the sides, is usually a birth defect and may be caused by incubation temperature and humidity, or heredity. Those may be corrected early with taping, but after the first week of life, those are permanent because of the bones hardening. I agree that the left leg may have a bone deformity.

This IS your problem IMO.

Improper nutrition.
Yes. The problem is, where I live feed stores only sell chicken feed in summer. It’s dumb. Chickens eat all year long. So they've been on scratch grains so far. But I am buying normal layer feed for them as soon as it will be in stock again

Back
Top Bottom