1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crooked Toes, Can't Walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RobParks, Dec 16, 2013.

1. RobParks

RobParks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2013
    Northern California
    My six week old RIRs were just moved from my basement to the outside coup. The next day I noticed one hen with crooked toes and unable to walk. Do you think she was injured during the transfer? I tried making a splint but she still won't walk. Any ideas?[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That looks like it could be Marek's, or maybe curly toe paralysis.

-Kathy

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its possible that it is a leg injury. Leg injuries can cause feet to become limp or paralyzed. You could try isolating her from the other birds in a soft, well-bedded area without a roost and give vitamins. This should help a leg iinjury heal. However, leg injuries are often slow to heal, so you may not notice much improvement for a while.

As Casportpony stated, Marek's can cause this too. It doesn't usually come on this quickly, though, so if you just noticed it it may not be Marek's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by