Crooked Toes

Orangefish

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Oklahoma
I noticed today one of my Cuckoo Maran hens has crooked toes on one foot. She doesnt limp and walks good but I wasnt sure if it would cause trouble later on when she gets fully grown and weighs alot more. (She is 8 weeks now)

When chicks have crooked or curled toes you can help straighten them by making a special "boot". I use a peice of cardboard cut to the shape of the foot, flatten the foot down on the cardboard, then tape it flat with the toes in correct position with clear packing tape. It works best on newly hatched chicks as their bones are soft the first couple days. Your chick may be too old but its worth a try. I have a Silkie hen thats has curled feet that were not caught soon enough to correct and she still gets around fine, just can't use the toes to roost.

I'm having the same problem with my 5 week old chicks. I have one that is that way and looking at a few of the others are looking like they are going that way. I'm giving them vitamines in their water. Some are suggesting may be genetics or lake of vitamines in the water.

Back
Top Bottom