crooked toes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by weavers rocks, Jun 12, 2011.

1. weavers rocks

weavers rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    I obtained some large fowl plymouth rocks white and barred from marvin stukel last spring hatched the eggs and raised them culled hard and kept the top male from both breeds and two best barred rock pullets and four best white rock pullets began breding this spring and I noticed on one of the males and one of the pullets they have a crooked toe I wanted to keep the male as a breeder because he is the top male of the six hatched but now Im not sure because of the crooked toes

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    it probly genetic

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    How were the incubator temps? That happened to me and that was (most likely) the cause.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    Crooked toes has several causes,brEEd from them and see if you get more or not.It can be incubator related,vitamin deficiency,inbreeding,enviroment,etc.IF GENETIC OR INBREEDING,TRY OUTCROSSING TO LESS RELATED BLOODLINE AND IT SHOULD DISAPPEAR.

5. weavers rocks

Jun 12, 2011
    temp in incubator stayed around 101 but i hatched some sex links out of same bator and one pulle had crooked toe also do u think ishould breed the barred rock male that has the crooked toe or cull him and keep second best

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Well, that means it is probably not genetic. Now for which one to keep; it doesn't seem like it's genetic, so he should be fine, But just in case I would recommend you keep #2 just in case he does carry some crooked toe gene or something... BTW, trust Dan's opinion more than mine.

7. weavers rocks

Jun 12, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies I HAVE HAD CHICKENS SINCE A KID BUT NEVER GOT INTO THE BREEDING AND CULLING SO ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:No problem. Oh and [​IMG]

9. weavers rocks

Jun 12, 2011
    Oh By The Way What Are Some Good Vitamins To Feed Breeders

10. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i recently got a pair of low quality shamo... i got them because the hen was blue laced red... but when my friend hatched some of their eggs, some came out with crooked toes... trying to fix them right now but looks like it's going to stay crooked... nice hens... so a couple weeks later, i hatched some from the same pair, and two hatched with leg problems... one came with out with a messed up knee, or seems like it does... i need to cull it out soon, and another chick came out with a crooked toe as well... so i'm thinking that the pair i got from the propagator are either genetic brothers or just very very poor bred specimens... since we both used a DIY incubator with different temperature controllers, fans and turners... both of them came out with crooked toes... i'm glad i got some different shamo too setup a great BLR shamo project...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by