Crooked Toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JPichler, Jul 25, 2011.

1. JPichler

JPichler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    West Central, WI
    I have an 18 week old black Australorp with crooked toes. What, if anything, can I do to help her out?

I have read previous posts about the condition and I'm a bit confused. I noticed it just recently, so it's not been a problem since she was a chick. Is it vitamin deficiency? If so, why do they all not have the problem. They do not free range and have a very good, well balanced feed that they all seem to eat lots of. I offer it free choice at all times.

She does not walk funny or have a problem perching. She has no problem getting up and down from the roost. But like I said, I just noticed it, so I will watch her more carefully now. Any ideas? Thanks.

Julie P

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Could well be a defect present from birth. A picture would help a lot.

I have had 2 chickens with bent toes, one a hybrid egg layer some years ago, bought like that and an excellent egg layer for years. The other is Brahma I hatched myself who has normal 'centre' toe and the other 3 bent outwards and webbed together. He is otherwise normal and enjoying an active free-range life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by