Crooked toes

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by peafowlmom, Aug 29, 2011.

1. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    Hi, my 3mo. India's each have a crooked toe, each on a different foot . They are otherwise without obvious deformities. They were the first chicks I have bought.
    I just bought two 3 1/2 mo. Whites today and their toes are fine.
    Should I be concerned? [​IMG]

1 Black Shoulder India Blue male, 1 india Blue hen, 1 Black Shoulder India Blue/India Blue split yearling male, 2 3 mo. India blue males, 2 White 4 mo. (don't know yet), 2 dogs.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    I do not know if you can straighten out a 3 month old bird's toes. I do not that if you tape them when they are a few days old they will straighten out. If the bird is walking ok I guess it should be fine. Can you post a picture?

3. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Unless it is crooked under it will be fine. Some birds lose toes for various reasons such as frost bite. Is it roosting? If so and walking it is A-OK, just have an awkward digit.

4. peafowlmom

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    They are not under, they walk fine, can roost and I was also wondering since I got them from the same breeder if there is a reason they should not breed? Oh and yes they are over 3 months. Sorry it took so long to answer back. When I know how to post pictures I am gonnna show ya'll the "temporary lodgings" of said birds!!! HEE! HEE! My husband has a pretty creative mind! Oh I hope I didn't ramble too much!

5. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Yes, you can fix them when they first hatch but at 3 months old there is nothing you can do. They should be fine if just crooked and should be able to breed as long as the male can stay on the hen. You would have thought that the breeder would have fixed the toes when they hatched.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  6. peafowlmom

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    She told me they would straighten out. I was skeptical but didn't really know. Thanks for you knowledge and time!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by