crooked toes

Angiebubs

Songster
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Amery, WI WI/MN border
Today I had my babies out in our new run and noticed one of my 6 wk old BR babies toes are crooked? Mainly the front main toe, but the outside ones are as well. They seem to be bent at the joint. Is this a genetic defect? vitiam dificiency? Should I try and split them? I hadn't noticed this before so not sure if its something that recently developed or was born with. Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!

Pic on FB: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2164518267394.126275.1079733024&l=4da9cebbb8&type=1 Last pic (#11)

Six weeks is awfully old to be trying to change something that fundamental - not to mention, it would be SO hard to keep any kind of splint apparatus on. I would consider it a done deal, if it were my bird. I've had a number of mildly crooked toed birds do just fine. I have two birds right now with major toe defects and somehow they both roost, forage, and seem to handle being mounted just fine. I wouldn't breed with your bird, but there's a good chance that he/she will do just fine in life.

Back
Top Bottom