Crookneck Chick Almost 100% Recovered - Update PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by opihiman911, Jan 25, 2008.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Well I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't watch it myself. My 3 week old chick that had crookneck and was turning into the excorsist is almost fully recovered. Last week Sunday I started giving it 400u Vitamin E twice a day. A day or two later I started giving it a liquid high dose adult multi vit and mineral twice a day. I couldn't find liquid B complex, so I used the high dose adult liquid because it had all the B's, I dosed it to be equal to 1/4 tab of the B-complex tablet as the instructions say. I couldn't find any selenium or prednisone any where.
    By the third day of this its head was held up off the ground, eating and drinking on its own, able to walk forward. Today is day 5 of treatment and is almost 100% recovered and got to go outside with its older siblings and play. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] These pics are from today. See how much smaller the crookneck one is, it was 2 days later than its other 2 siblings and I almost about to give up. Its bigger siblings are checking out the vitamins on its neck, suprisingly they never pick or peck at it, they are very gently with her.
    So I would assume that this was probally a case of vitamin deficiency? and not a head trauma since it responded almost immediatly to the vitamins? Is that caused by the medicated feed I'm giving them? or should I just put vitamins in their water?
    Thanks for all the help and info in getting this little one back to health. It probally wouldn't still be here if you all didn't give me the info I needed to save it. All of you out there who helped me get just as much credit for saving her as I do.
    Aloha,
    Cory
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what she looked like 6 days ago:

[​IMG]

2. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    WOW!![​IMG]What a great job you have done!!! Congrats! I'm very happy for you!

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I'm so happy to hear the happy ending. As I mentioned in my prior post, I continued giving Ruth the liquid vitamins for weeks. I too believe it was vitamin related. I also began feeding all chicks extra foods like shredded cheese, diced up fruits and veggies and buying them crickets and mealworms. I, for one, am not convinced that commercial feed has everything they need or would get in nature if allowed to free-range. I also let mine free-range all day long. I have followed every post about crook neck or chicks that can't walk or spin in circles and I'm convined it's nutritionally related.

Wow, your little baby looks so much better. Keep up the TLC. And if you can keep her with her hatch-mates, try to do so. Because I had to keep Ruth isolated for so long, they wouldn't accept her when she returned. She pretty much lived alone till I got a batch of day-old baby Buffs in August when she was already 3 months old and she just adopted them.

4. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    I successfuly cured a crookneck too, it does work! She looks terrific! Congrats!

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's great news!!!

6. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww! She's a cutie! I am so glad that she's better. Good job! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by