Crookneck/Wryneck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aaoddancer14, Jul 11, 2016.

1. aaoddancer14

aaoddancer14 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    I just found out that my favorite chicken has Crook/Wry Neck. I keep getting mixed advice from people, some say that there's nothing you can do and some say that they've been able to get their chicken back to 100%. Does anyone know what to do or give a chicken for this? I've heard of giving them vitamin b, but in what form? How do you get them to eat or drink it? Thanks!

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Although I've heard of a couple cases where the bird doesn't recover, I witnessed one of my bantams come back to normal. Since wry neck is a vitamin E deficiency, I would recommend giving her either straight E from a capsule, Rooster Booster electrolytes and vitamins mix, Nutri-drench, or even just molasses; whatever you have on hand. [​IMG] I would absolutely try to help her! Is she having difficulty eating/drinking?

Here's my experience in pictures:
    The first day I noticed Dakota's condition.
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking this was a few days after beginning treatment.
    [​IMG]
    And, a few days before she was killed by a coon at about 17-18 weeks of age. I miss her!
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

3. aaoddancer14

May 25, 2015
    Thank you! Yes, she was having a hard time eating and drinking yesterday but today she figured out how to drink, which was what I was mainly concerned about. I saw her eat a little, but not a lot. I'm hoping that will change. Dakota was such a cutie! I'm sorry for your loss.

4. babychicks7

babychicks7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    missouri
    i have read poly vi sol helps with this wry neck how mush do i give a 1 week old chick?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wry neck is only a symptom, and can be caused by many different things, such as head injury, vitamin E deficiency, but any other diseases that can cause brain inflammation or irritation can cause wry neck. Most people try the vitamins and selenium for a couple of weeks if possible. Wrapping the chicken in a towel 2-3 times a day, and feeding a mash of chick feed, raw or cooked egg, a small amount of plain yogurt, and water, can give them a lot of nutrition. Then leaving them in a crate with food and water, near the other chickens, can keep them safe. Hopefully this will improve.

1 person likes this.
  6. babychicks7

babychicks7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    missouri
    how much vitiamin E do i give a small 1 week old chick she was born with this neck problem. i started giving her poly vi sol yesterday 2 drops once a day. she hatched out fine but it took her 2 days to be able to stand up she seems to be eating and drinking she feels as heavy as the other chicks not sure if i should give her the E ?

7. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a bantam rooster that hatched unable to stand because his head was tipped over on his back. I had read that chicks that hatch this way could be easily cured with vit E/selenium and polyvisol without iron. He did eventually recover but I will be honest with you it took several weeks. Here's what meds I gave him:
    2 drops of polyvisol twice a day (reduced to one drop twice a day once I saw improvement)
    1 400iu vitamin E caplet twice a day
    1/2 50mcg tablet of selenium once a day (crushed on food)
    1/2 B complex vitamin crushed on food once a day

I did not add the vit B until he was about week and 1/2 old and I hadn't seen much improvement. It was after adding the B complex that he made a turn for the better.

Holding a tiny little Bantam to get meds in was difficult so I found that putting them on his fav treat (1/4 cucumber) was easier on both of us and he gobbled them right down.

[​IMG]

here is Happy Gilmore today. I still give him vitamins once a week as we have had several day long relapses. Once I began the once per week treatment he has not relapsed.

Good luck...it's a frustrating thing to cure sometimes but it is very doable!

8. aaoddancer14

May 25, 2015
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm seeing an improvement today.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're welcome! Glad to hear there's some improvement! (from your post below) [​IMG]

Thank you so much, she was my baby. [​IMG]

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by