Crookneck?

lizardz

Songster
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
Grass Valley, CA
I have two Welsummer chicks, about 5 weeks old. Had them out last night playing with them and they were fine; this morning fed and watered them-fine. Went out just a little while ago to check on them and one is behaving oddly. He is turning his head to the right, sometimes over his back like he's looking behind him, and circling to the right. When I took him out of the cage he would walk a few steps straight, then start circling, few steps straight, circle. The other one seems fine.

I've had these chicks about 2-1/2 weeks. They are in a large dog crate in the garage with a red heating light. It's been rather cold, so I've been keeping the crate covered with blankets to keep the heat in. Fresh chick starter/water daily. They are on newspaper, with a small box with some pine shavings in it.

After discovering the problem, I came in and did a search and it seems like it might be crookneck. Does this seem likely? or any other ideas? I ran to the drugstore and bought some polyvisol, but could not find Vit. E w/selinium. Would the polyvisol be a good place to start? And how much/often? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Liz

CROOKNECK!!! mine didn't make it
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
wish yours cluck
lol.png
lol.png

After reading some more of the posts on crookneck, I've started with 2 drops of the polyvisol, as that is all I have at this moment. It looks like a good all-around adult multi-vitamin, along with some Vit. E caps is what's called for. Does this sound right? anyone?
Liz

I think dlhunicorn recommends the children's formula of polyvisol...2-3 drops a day for a week, then taper off.
and yes..give the vit-E..

the chick also needs the chick feed..if it isn't able to eat..moisten the feed with some warm water, and add some egg, and roll into small pellets..
place in mouth, stroke the throat downwards to encourage swallowing.
feed till the crop feels about 1/2 full.
feed several times a day..
hopefully it will be able to eat on his own after the vitamins or in a day or so.
it's possible the chick has been eating bedding instead of food.
do you have food and water available all the time?

fingers crossed that the chick will be ok..

I am assuming you found a post where I have given info (and links to info ) on this symptom....
(if you havent then let me know and I will repost)

dlhunicorn,
yes, I found your posts, but the links were somewhat confusing because it seemed most were about it being caused by a head injury, which I don't think is the case here. What I'm understanding for treatment is a multi-vitimin(polyvisol), plus extra Vit. E w/selinium, plus good nutrition, fresh water. Dosage 2-3 drops polyvisol/day, plus a Vit.E capsule. Is that correct?
He is eating medicated chick starter, and I fed him some scrambled egg earlier. He seems to still be able to eat/drink okay. Would yogurt be good for him? Anything else?
Thanks, everyone, for your help. He's a little sweetie and I would hate to lose him.
Liz

I'm not sure the yogurt would be a good idea right now..it might make the droppings runny, and could interfere with the vitamin absorption.

others might have different opinion.

also..check the eyes for cloudiness or gray color.

I agree, no yogurt right now- dairy can interfere with vitamin absorption and there's no vitamin E in it anyway. The digestive tract should be okay as long as you keep feeding fairly small meals on a frequent basis. Don't forget to give plenty of water, dehydration will slow digestion and nutrient/vitamin absorption.

yes it can be due to many things but when it happens suddenly (especially when the breed is silkie or polish) then it is often head injury.
I will give you the link again below to some collected articles on the symptom (which can occur with many things) ...
The (childrens) polyvisol is recommended for the B vitamins mainly (It is a A-B-D vitamin) however it does not have vitamin B-1 (thiamine) and this MIGHT also be helpful to your birdie.
The advice for polyvisol (A-B-D childrens) with vitE/selenium (you need the combination tabs because the therapeutic amount of vitE can only be absorbed by the bird when combined with selenium as they are interdependent on each other>ensure the amount of selenium does nOT exceed 50 MICROgrams) is useful for several conditions. However, if the crookneck symptom is being caused by a specific deficiency or say parasitic challenge such as cocci (and blood is not always present in cocci) or a failed Mereks vaccination (have your birds been vaccinated for mareks?) or any of the many other reasons that can produce this symptom, then this "therapy" will be insufficient (though it cannot harm and often is helpful). What exactly are you feeding your birds?... if chick starter is it medicated? Were your birds vaccinated for anything? When you had them out to play is it possible the bird might have had opportunity to eat something? Did you give it treats>>>if so what ? Knowing the symptom came on quite suddenly is helpful somewhat to narrowing down what possibly may have caused it but it would help if you would answer the questions just asked .
Here is the link to some of my collected articles on crook neck ... (just in case you missed it)
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1160928615

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom