Crop bra designs?

Recently I worked with two BYCers to fashion crop bras for their hens with pendulous crop. We came up with a simple "H" design using a 4 inch square scrap of canvas cloth or something similar. It involves sewing the 12 inch straps, made from elastic bandage, ACE or vet wrap, onto the cloth square. Velcro is secured to the straps to fasten.

View attachment 1160090 View attachment 1160091
Usually, once a hen develops pendulous crop, she will continue to be troubled by it. So, yes, she will need to wear the bra 24/7 so her crop will empty continually.
I just read this, and thank you for posting this info, one of my hens has pen crop, and I’m going to try this.

Here are some pictures of my hen wearing her bra. It worked great for her. It was trial and error getting a design that worked but we wound up going with a hash tag (#) design. Similar to the picture shown a few threads up only the straps we used were much thinner. We used denim as the central square part cuz it's pretty sturdy and we felt like it lifted her up the best. Our was for a bantam hen tho. She did peck at it so every few months we had to replace it because it would fray but it was kept on her 24/7 the rest of her life. The other chickens didn't even seem to notice it which had been one of our concerns before. The pictures below are of when we first put it on her and then after having worn it awhile. It looks big when we first put it on but after time it molds to her and slips down a bit but that's because we used denim as I said. View attachment 1786523 View attachment 1786524 View attachment 1786523 View attachment 1786524
It's my second bantam Cochin with this condition. I wonder if that breed is particularly prone to it.

Back
Top Bottom