Crop bra problem...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaisyBird, Feb 29, 2016.

1. MaisyBird

MaisyBird Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    Hi all,
    so my chicken has a pendulous crop so I decided to use a crop bra since I've heard that other people have used them and they work. Well, I made one out of an ace bandage shaped like an I with one piece around her neck and one around her back under her wings. Whenever I put it on her, she sticks her foot in the bra part and pulls it down. Eventually, she manages to pull it off. However, she needs the bra to eat with or else her crop will fill up and she will have a hard time with the food going down. Should I make another crop bra out of different materials or what? I'm kinda at a loss here because she needs to eat... Any help is appreciated. Thank you![​IMG]

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I would try making it a bit tighter or make a new one that is tight we so its harder for her to get her foot in the bra and if it's not draining right with the bra put the bra on and try massaging her crop to help move around the food to help it empty

3. MaisyBird

Feb 27, 2016
    her crop right now feels really hard and she hasn't eaten all day. I think she has an impacted crop actually. Can I still massage it? I tried to earlier and it was like massaging a rock...

4. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Has she been drinking it can become hard like that when they haven't drunk anything in a while

5. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    If it's hard I would try massaging it because since it's hard it might not work because everything is tight and dry

6. MaisyBird

Feb 27, 2016
    She hasn't been drinking on her own a lot. Mostly Iv'e been using a eye dropper full of water to make her drink(although she doesn't like it at all)

7. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Does it smell like if u can't smell it open her beak and see if u smell Anything if so it might be sour crop

8. MaisyBird

Feb 27, 2016
    I don't think she has sour crop. Before her crop emptied it was all blown up and I could hear gurgling noises but there was no smell or anything. Maybe it was just a slow crop? But it emptied yesterday and now its all hard like a rock. I gave her some water with a syringe this morning but no changes in hardness. I also tried to massage her crop but I couldn't break up anything.

9. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ok it now more sounds like she may have eaten so much that she stretched her crop it happens and it Emtys slower and a crop feals hard when it's completely full

10. MaisyBird

Feb 27, 2016
    its been two days since her crop emptied and it is still hard... im not sure what to do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by