Crop contents left, bird eaten on the spot

EeyoreD

Songster
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
Attica, MI
What killed my duck? I'm used to coons that will behead or at least rip the crop out and eat it. I'm really confused about an Indian runner that, well, was just a bunch of feathers, a bit of bloody outer wing bone and the spilled crop contents.

OK maybe it wasn't entirely eaten on the spot but, as I said, there was a chewed wing bone with just a bit of flesh, the spilled crop contents, TONS of feathers but... no other bones.

What was this?

interesting puzzle.

It has to be something that can carry the bird off, after having some fun. That narrows down the field, but not enough to make an identification.

I don't think any raptor would do that (at least none of my 10 or so raptor kills have done that, large hawk, bald eagle, and great horned owl).

My first guess would be dog, since that would fulfill the "played with, ate some, then took it home" requirement. However, are you rural enough to include mountain lion and Lynx?

I haven't had a Wolverine eat my livestock yet...but maybe that would qualify, and the same with bear.

I don't think a fox would play with it so much before dragging it home, so I vote against fox, raccoon, or possum.

Back
Top Bottom