Crop damage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wyatt0224, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    Hey everyone. I was just wondering how to know if a chickens crop is hurt or damaged. And what it would mean if their crop was hurt?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you be more specific? Crops are muscles that can become slow or stop working due to some illnesses. They can be damaged by overeating and a condition known as pendulous crop can occur. Crops can become impacted from eating long grasses or other objects that get tangled up and cause an impaction. They can also get infected by bacteria or other infections such as in sour crop, and wuit working. They also can become injured if a chicken eats something sharp or injures the crop.

3. Wyatt0224

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    Actually that was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much! I just wanted an overview of potential crop injuries but....
    Earlier today I let my chickens out of coop and grabbed their feeder to refill it. When I came back all of them were in their yet I noticed one was limping. It's been laying down and hopping around on its only good foot. Tonight I was petting him and I felt his crop and noticed that his crop was hard. Does that mean anything or does it mean he's just been eating a lot?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check his crop in the early morning, before he has had a chance to eat, to see if it has emptied. Do you think he was injured, or is his leg paralyzed?

5. Wyatt0224

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    I don't think his leg is paralyzed and I really hope not but definitely injured. He would hop around on his right foot, (he injured his left foot), and he's been laying down for most of the day it seems. When he would stand he wouldn't even let his foot touch the ground, he'd hold it up and rarely let it drop.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Injuries of the leg can be pretty common. Usually resting the leg in a crate with food and water near the other chickens can help for a week or two.

7. Wyatt0224

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    Right well depending on he is tomorrow will determine where I go next. Whenever they go down the ramp some of them fly off at the top and it's about a six foot fall and I'm wondering if he flew or was pushed off and he didn't land right. Hopefully he just sprained it

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is a long way to fall, indeed. Is there any way to change the ramp to short steps? Some have used tree trunk steps, but 6 feet is pretty tall.

9. Wyatt0224

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    Well that's just the top of the ramp. It's actually not that steep because I've seen my other chickens go down the middle just fine. It's only this one and another one that don't like to go down and then they fly off

10. Wyatt0224

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    How do you know if a crop is damaged because I felt it and it didn't feel like anything was in there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by