crop disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bethjc, Jan 6, 2010.

1. bethjc

bethjc New Egg

Jan 6, 2010
    One of my free roaming reds has a crop that has opened to the skin surface. This has occurred rapidly, crop not swollen two days ago. She is still eating, laying and seems to feel fine. Seeing vet in am. She is a pet, approx 7 mos old. First chickens I've had and I don't want to loose her. Think she may have eaten some insulation causing this (has ben removed). Anyone experienced this? I'm finding lots of info on impaction but not fistulas.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Do you have pictures? Is the crop leaking out things? Or is it just "exposed" where you can see the thin crop lining under thin skin that is showing out from feathers?

I guess I'm asking if the crop has literally ruptured though the skin, or just looks so large that it is exposed.

If it has not "popped" just take the food away for the night and check in the morning.

3. bethjc

bethjc New Egg

Jan 6, 2010
    it has definitely opened to skin surface in quarter size area. got food/grass/hay/grain . vet said not to try to express alot tonite.thx for ur response. expect for vet to clean and suture in am if he thinks she has any chance and if the weather allows. expecting rare snow in alabama tonite- school already cancelled . we'll see

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmm, a pic would still help, if you cannot get to the vet, and you think it is impacted (long grasses bedding injested) thus leading to the exposure, you can try searching the forum for a thread on "crop surgery".

Best of luck with your girl.

Oh, and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by