crop disorder?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by doxielover, Jun 24, 2010.

1. doxielover

doxielover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Hello everyone,

I,m a new egg and I have a question. I know you are all so great with information for us newbies. I have an 8 month old barred rock rooster, that I think may have been battling Marek's since about 6 weeks old. This was not diagnosed by a vet, but by talking to a local breeder. I started him on the homeopathic remedy that was posted on this forum, the hyperciaum. His paralysis improved quite a bit, but his feet are still an issue. He has had a good appetite, is animated, and bright eyed. However, I have recently noticed that he has a rather large lump in the center area of his neck/chest region. I am not familiar with exactly where the crop area is on a chicken, so I am not sure if this may be a full crop, sour crop, or whatever. Last night I held him in my lap and he was eating and drinking enthusiastically, but today he doesn't seem interested at all. I have noticed that when he is eating or drinking there seems to be a sound that I hear that sounds very much like hunger pangs. His poop is normal and healthy looking. This morning I noticed that he holds his beak slightly open like he is breathing hard but doesn't seem to be gasping or anything. Does anyone have any ideas? I will try to send a pic asap, maybe that would help.

loving mom to 4 barred rocks, 5 javas, 3 mini dachshunds, 3 cats, and 1 bunny.

I am in Massachusetts

2. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    don't know much about marek's disease. maybe someone else will help.

3. doxielover

doxielover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Thanks for responding janetk. I went ahead and followed the recommendations of giving the mineral oil, I started that today. I was able to talk to the gentleman who owns the farmers co op, he raises chickens, and he advised me to give him the mineral oil in the morning and evening and massage the crop. Which I have done today. So far there has been no change in the size of the lump. He also advised giving him some yogurt, applesauce, or cranberry sauce. Braveheart (that's the roosters name) took the applesauce very well, so at least he got some food source into him. I guess I will try this regime for a few days and see what happens. I will keep checking back to see if anyone else responds. Again, I appreciate the fact that you cared enough to respond.

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Sour crop has a sour smell if you take a whiff when he opens his beak. Is it soft or hard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by