1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Crop empty

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mbrock, Oct 25, 2014.

1. mbrock

mbrock Chirping

Sep 12, 2014
    Sw Fla
    My Black Oprington always seem to have an almost empty crop. My other birds always have a full crop at roost time. With her you can feel a small amount in the crop but not much. I have seen her eat a little and she drinks. During the day she is out scratching around with the rest and seem to be acting normal. I haven't noticed any weight loss.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As long as she is maintaining weight, there is most likely nothing to worry about.

3. mbrock

mbrock Chirping

Sep 12, 2014
    Sw Fla
    Thank you I lost my other black to egg bound.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  4. mbrock

mbrock Chirping

Sep 12, 2014
    Sw Fla
    I noticed today when giving blackie her bath that an area of skin looked "out of place". It looked like a sac full of air , almost like what and air filled crop but on the right side were the wing and neck meet. I could not get a picture. I'l try tomorrow to get one. Could my girls' empty crop be from damage to her crop. I really wish i had a pics.We(my son) has us wanting to add to hens/pullets to our small flock. Has anyone heard of this with English lines of opringtons.

5. mbrock

mbrock Chirping

Sep 12, 2014
    Sw Fla
    The best i can describe it as would be maybe a hernia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: