Crop impacted with seed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cathy247, Nov 22, 2012.

1. cathy247

cathy247 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    I have made the mistake of giving my chickens some very premium bird seed as an extra treat. It is a patio mix and has peanut chips in it that they love. The problem I am having is one of my hens has a huge swollen crop full of seed. The vet put her on antibiotics because she had a fever and was losing weight. The medicine has done some good and the crop has become a little smaller but now I can feel the seed in there, like a big hard ball. Any suggestions? My vet doesn't know a lot about chickens.

2. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    I just read a huge thread on this subject last week and I don't remember where it was. Do a quick search for crop impact and you may find it. There were several methods for helping an impacted crop. Good luck, from what I read this can be a deadly condition.

3. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    I just read you can give them plain no sugar yogurt. Also, massaging the crop may help. Someone posted they put organic apple cider vinegar in their water on a daily basis which keeps things going through, someone also posted they gave theirs red wine (same reason, the vinegar). Maybe just massaging will help. Good luck. I did see that someone posted as long as they are pooping, things are passing through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by