Crop Impaction?? Illness in Barred rock, 3 1/2 years old

Jun 18, 2021
I have a small flock of 4 chickens. My barred rock hen (She’s about 3 1/2) seems to be sick. She is usually pretty bright, alert and healthy but recently has had extremely watery poops and a slightly purple comb. I noticed overnight her crop hadn’t emptied, (about 3 days ago) and I worked on getting it empty as soon as I could. It was just an Impaction and I caught it soon enough before it turned sour. So far I’ve been feeding her mashed fruits, yogurt and ACV in water. Her crop is staying empty and working well but she’s still not back to her usual self. Her comb is staying tinted purple and her poops haven’t changed much, although I haven’t given her much solid food in fear of her Impaction returning or possibly getting worse if it’s still somewhat there. Yesterday she seemed a lot better with more solid poops and a bright comb + no lethargy. Today, her crop is empty but her comb has returned to slightly purple and she’s extremely lethargic and shaking her head, as well as opening her mouth as if something is stuck. She’s been separated from the flock for 3 days and none of the other birds are showing any symptoms. She is still eating and drinking regularly but the dark comb and watery poops have not improved. Her poops have a bit of solid as well as yellow and white urates/liquid. Has anyone experienced anything similar..and what should I do?!

Attachments

• C7B24877-AB39-499E-AEAA-BBD59DC5A3FE.jpeg
    C7B24877-AB39-499E-AEAA-BBD59DC5A3FE.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 6
  • E4B45E6A-89F9-4C30-9D84-96FC587C4B51.jpeg
    E4B45E6A-89F9-4C30-9D84-96FC587C4B51.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 8DAFB2C8-0DF8-4A19-9F04-0B5C1E8D76F3.jpeg
    8DAFB2C8-0DF8-4A19-9F04-0B5C1E8D76F3.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 4
Welcome To BYC

Is your hen still laying eggs?

Sometimes a crop problem is a symptom of an underlying condition like a reproductive disorder, worms, coccidiosis or worms. If she's not been laying eggs, then I would lean toward reproductive disorder.

Feel her abdomen for bloat or swelling. Do what you can to keep her hydrated. Sometimes a hen will perk up after a couple of days.

Welcome To BYC

Is your hen still laying eggs?

Sometimes a crop problem is a symptom of an underlying condition like a reproductive disorder, worms, coccidiosis or worms. If she's not been laying eggs, then I would lean toward reproductive disorder.

Feel her abdomen for bloat or swelling. Do what you can to keep her hydrated. Sometimes a hen will perk up after a couple of days.
She seemed to have perked up a bit after she ate and drank a bit this morning. I haven’t noticed any unusual bloating or egg binding but I did check for that this morning just in case. She hasn’t consistently laid eggs in about two months. We’ve gotten two fairy eggs from her since January, so a reproductive issue sounds like it could be it. I’ll look into it. She isn’t showing any other symptoms of coccidiosis, but I plan on deworming her just in case. Thank you for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom