1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crop Impaction in Parakeets?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by jessied1227, Jul 8, 2007.

1. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Hello all-
    My sister has been handfeeding a parakeet and has just successfully weaned him to seed. He is a *very* sweet little bird. She called tonight and said he was rock hard around his crop, and a bit lethargic.
    Now, I raised and handfed birds for years when we lived out west and never ran into any crop troubles, so does anyone have any advice?
    I told her to take the food away and just leave water and see what it's like in the morning, but other than that, I'm at a loss. [​IMG]
    So again - any ideas, advice, etc.??

Tweedle the parakeet and my sister would be ever so grateful. [​IMG]
    Thanks-
    Jessica

2. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    I used to handraise finches and parakeets but also never encountered such a problem. If the bird seems listless, I would definitely keep it in a brooder, which I assume she's already doing. I found this site below which address general crop impaction:
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/impactedcrop.html

Hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by