1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crop Impaction

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rickclean, May 19, 2008.

1. rickclean

rickclean New Egg

May 19, 2008
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the site as you can tell [​IMG]

I have done a search on the above subject but there seem to be so many conversations about this etc. that I am having trouble finding what I really need.

Basically one of my chickens, my favourite called Henrietta, is not herself. She is lethargic, her crown is going purple. I have seperated her from the other 3 we have as a precaution.

However her Crop is large and she could have crop impaction. I am trying to find the best way of helping her and what to do as this as I don't want to loose her.

Any tips? I saw the mention of olive oil but no explination as to how one should administer it.

Please help [​IMG]

RC

2. Pekin Hen

Pekin Hen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2007
    South Africa
    Rickclean welcome to the BYC site!!

So sorry about your hen, I know how you feel - one day when I went to feed the chickens I saw my favourite hen was missing. Later that day I found out that a cat ate her!
    I wept for days!!!

Hope she gets well soon!

Pekin Hen.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    If her comb is going purple that indicates cyanosis / heart insufficiency....this is a symptom usually of something else going on.
    What have you been feeding henrietta (incl treats)
    does she free range and what are the environmental conditions (housing weather etc)
    What breed is this bird?

4. rickclean

rickclean New Egg

May 19, 2008
    Quote:Hi There

We feed her organic pellets from the chicken shop where bought her as well as corn in the evening. I give them fresh water everyday.

They have there own part of the garden (about 20 foot by 30 foot, so they are free range and have lots of space and greenery. We don't really give treats except any veg that we are unable to eat from the garden (this is very rare).

The weather has been glorious these last few weeks, with only the odd spot of rain, and the environment is rural West Sussex. Basically a great place for any chicken.

As for breed I cannot remember, though she is a hybrid and pure white.

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I am new here as well, and have found the advice and support on this site to be fabulous. I don't have an answer for you on your situation, but someone will. Best of luck...let us know how she does.
    Anne

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    can you post a pic of your bird? If it is a broiler type (heavy bird) such problems are quite common unfortunately. I would stop giving her scratch/corn (I am assuming you are giving her a layer ration as her standard feed?)
    How is she laying?

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  7. rickclean

rickclean New Egg

May 19, 2008
    Quote:Layer ration? Sorry I am totally new to this. I will try and take a picture when I get home and post it. I'll stop giving her corn and see how she gets on. She hasn't laid since we isolated her, but was laying prior sao we initially thought she was broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by