Crop Impaction

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmgirl02, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Hi, it's me again,
    My chicken Dolly has crop impaction. I am massaging her crop daily, and giving her mashed- up laying pellets (Purina Omega-3 diet) mixed with olive oil. Today while I was holding her, she caught me off guard and flapped out of my arms. I then noticed she had threw up on my wrist! She has threw up a couple times during the past two or three weeks. Is there anything else that I can do to to help her?
    Thanks!

farmgirl02[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The massaging needs to be done several times a day in a downward motion. I would just offer her water for 1 day, then day 2 offer only plain yogurt and applesauce. On day 3 if it is starting to go down, then offer mushy feed, but no whole grains until she is over this. Does she have access to grit normally? Here are 3 good links about crops:
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...impacted-gizard-sour-crop-differences-in-each

1 person likes this.
  3. No, I have not been giving her oyster grit because someone told me she should not have anything hard. Thank you so much, Eggsecive! Should she be having accsess oyster grit normally?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Tubing water should help clear her crop. Have a rooster that I'm doing that with now.

-Kathy

5. Murphyslaw123

Murphyslaw123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    How much water at a time do you tube in to help clear an impaction? I'm possibly dealing with this here too.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The rooster I just did got 120ml, but he's a big boy. How big is your chicken?

-Kathy

7. Murphyslaw123

Murphyslaw123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    I messaged you earlier today, Kathy. ;) She is a standard RIR, the smaller of the two I have here.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    A standard RIR hen should be able to take at least 60-90ml.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @Murphyslaw123 , sent you a PM with my number.

-Kathy

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oyster shell is not grit--it is for calcium. Grit is finely pulverized pieces of granite. They are different. Yes your right not to give grit right now, but I was just wondering if she has access to it normally. They need both in a container where they can get some free choice when they need them. I usually put both in a plastic coffee can over 1/2 full so they don't turn it over.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by