hugitnotnugget

Songster
6 Years
Feb 14, 2016
Upstate NY
New hen that we got and hour ago. She had her eyes closed for most of the time and definitely seemed like somthing was wrong. She was getting peaked on by the others and that's why we got her. The only thing I noticed is her chest is very soft and pudgy... she's been holding her wings out too but she doesn't feel hot. Haven't seen her drink yet and she's pecked some food but didnt eat any. Ah! She just drank some! Also it is 8 at night so maybe she is just tired? I have only know her from 7-8 so not much to go off. she is two and I hope to give her a better life! Please help! :(

Could just be extremely stressed. Put her somewhere quiet for her to settle in. Even though you are saving her being removed from a familiar home, especially by herself is scary. Give her some time, than see how she looks.

I agree with oldhenlikes dogs. Your new chicken has had a long and stressful day. Give her time to rest and re-evaluate in the morning.

Thank you guys! I'm hoping your right! She's seems to be more active already! I'm excited to get her out of there and into our peaceful flock! :)

Don't be too keen to introduce a chicken that is showing signs of being unwell, into your flock. Chicken diseases are very easy to catch and can be really heart breaking. No point in saving one to lose half of your own flock. Also, don't assume your flock will accept her without some pecking or aggravation. They might be peaceful amongst themselves but adding a strange hen can bring out the worst in them, especially if she appears unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom