Crop issue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 64Galaxie, Mar 12, 2015.

1. 64Galaxie

64Galaxie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2014
    CT
    I have an Australorp that is at least 1.5 years old. She is bigger than all the other Australorps I have and is as big as my Brahma or even larger. A couple days ago, I noticed that when I felt her crop it didn't seem normal, at least to me. It was loose almost and felt squishy. I'm not sure if this is unusual as this is my first year raising chickens. I have pictures
    [​IMG] She is the one in the far back. Does her front part seem too low?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Is this also normal? I am not sure if it is hers as there are 14 other hens in the pen. I know I've seen her poop be the normal black and white topping. She eats, drinks, and is just as active as the others. I don't hear any gases coming from her mouth and I don't smell anything bad from her mouth. I have tipped her at a 60 degree angle and massaged her crop but nothing came out. So I am just wondering if she looks normal to you guys and if it is ok to see that kind of poop every once in a while.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. 64Galaxie

64Galaxie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2014
    CT
    Thank you. After reading it seems that I can't do much as keeping her isolated to feed her soft foods and to massage her crop daily might be too much. If we were to isolate her we wouldn't have anywhere to put her. Unless if you think I could put her in a dog crate everyday inside the pen with soft foods and let her in the coop at night? Also, how do I feel for an emptied crop? What do you suggest I do? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by