Crop issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ambe0487, Mar 18, 2017.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I have a 9 month old Bantam frizzled Cochin Pullet that is exhibiting the signs of sour crop. I noticed 3 days ago when her crop was the size of a grapefruit. I brought her inside, kept her off food for 12 hours and then started with yogurt and red wine. When we started the wine/yogurt her crop had gone down but not by much. By the next 12 hours she was down to the size of a cutie orange but it was still squishy.
    [​IMG]

Day 2: I continued the wine/yogurt mix and added a scrambled egg for protein. Today it would fill back up to the size of a baseball (squishy) and then go back to her cutie orange overnight but didn't seem to completely empty.
    I put her back out into the coop for the night without food so she could be with her feathered family and more comfortable.

She is still in lively spirits even after so much handling.
    [​IMG]

Day:3 (today). When I let her out she was not empty again but smaller. I am letting her have reagular feed this morning with the flock and plan on bringing her back inside about noon.

She doesn't seem to drink much water when she is sperated so I worry that she is getting dehydrated. When i feed her the wine/yogurt mix I add water to that as well as to the scrambled egg so I can be sure she is getting water.

I'm not sure what to do next.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA

Thank you very much for the information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by