Crop issues

cjeisnaugle

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
It appears one of my hens has sour crop - full, squishy crop that does not go down, feels like a water balloon. She also recently started shaking or twitching her head. I've been dosing her with nystatin twice daily and massaging for three days now, with no visible improvement. Anything else I should be doing?

How does her poop look? It can be hard to cure sour crop if her digestive system is not moving things along normally. Lots of things can cause crop slowdown (various obstructions and diseases) and not all of them can be fixed, but if there has been no change over three days I would try crop flushes. 1 teaspoon epsom salt in 1/2 cup water twice a day for a couple days might help get things moving.

With head shaking I check for mites/lice and the ears and nares for any debris or infection. But it might just be a reaction to having an overly full crop.

It appears one of my hens has sour crop - full, squishy crop that does not go down, feels like a water balloon. She also recently started shaking or twitching her head. I've been dosing her with nystatin twice daily and massaging for three days now, with no visible improvement. Anything else I should be doing?
Can you post photo of your hen and her poop?
Is she laying eggs?

Shaking and twitching the head may be her adjusting her crop.
I would not massage the crop if it's sour. Work on getting the Nystatin into her and see that she's staying hydrated. Offer her normal feed or wet feed during waking hours.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom