Crop out paint horses?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by miss heny, Apr 1, 2012.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

does any one else own one? i have a pretty 9 year old mare, that i am thinking, after calming her down (hopefully) and showing her (hopefully) for a few years to breed her, but i want another crop out paint XD

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Unless you mean something I don't understand, a "crop out" is just an animal that shows a lot more white than either of its parents. People that understand horse color genetics know that the genes that cause white on the face and feet of a horse are actually minimally expressed pinto genes. Put the right ones together, and you can get something really unexpected. I knew someone who had registered TB's that she was breeding to produce some pretty wild colors and patterns - but the economic situation hit her, too. Funky colors didn't make her animals any more valuable than any other saddle horse, and she could barely do better than give them away.[​IMG]

3. miss heny

in horse genes a crop out is a horse with very, very, very little white, some times crossing a solid color horse with a paint can get that to happen :) if you go to the APHA page and find the register for crop out page it would go more into depth :)

i have her pic in my gallery, i just gotta find it

4. miss heny

5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Pretty photo miss henny! I had to look up "crop-out".

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm sorry, but I still believe you are thinking about this backwards. "Cropout" is a term used by Quarter Horse breeders to describe a horse that can't be registered because it has too much white on it, even though both of its parents are registered. "Cropping" in this sense means to cull, remove from the program, because of something considered undesirable. Paint registration is a fall-back plan for animals that are "cropped out" by either the QH or TB registrations because the breed standards don't allow more than a certain amount of white on the legs and/or face (body white isn't allowed in any amount).

Paint horses are horses with TB or QH ancestry, with pinto markings. In pinto terms, a horse with markings like your mare's is referred to as "minimal white," or "minimal expression." "Crop out" is not a term that is used to describe anything about a pinto pattern. Animals eligible for Paint registration must either have parents that are registered Paints, or be an animal with registered QH or TB parents that has too much white to qualify for the parents' registry.

It is possible to breed 2 pintos together, and get an animal that only has a little bit of white on the face/feet. If the parents of a so-called solid foal are both registered Paints, the solid can then be registered as a "breeding stock" Paint.

Are both of your mare's parents registered QH's? If that is the case, then she is a "crop out," because she clearly shows white where the QH registry doesn't allow it.

There are no guarantees when it comes to breeding pintos. I have seen some wild patterns come from some minimally marked parents. I have also seen loud patterns throw foals with no white at all! When breeding pintos, it is critical to be sure that at least one parent doesn't carry the LWO gene. There are few things more heartbreaking than to go through all the work, worry and expense, only to get a foal that must be put down before it dies in agony due to a lethal gene combination.

7. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

What was the name of the farm breeding the uniquely colored thoroughbreds? Did she have her horses on MareStare?

8. miss heny

okay, this here is my under standing of croped (or crop out, for got bad sleep) paints:

most of the time it is a cross between a reg paint and a reg quarter horse or reg throughbred. MOST of the time the breeding threw out paints, but rarely they have a horse with to little white (like mine) and they were pretty much outcast like solid paints. Alot of horses of this color have bald face that doesnt seem right, i was lucky to find my horse.

i may of had gotten terms mixed up, sorry!

9. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I believe that Bunnylady is right about "crop-outs". APHA was started so that these crop-outs could be registered. AQHA now allows these horses to be registered, but APHA will only allow ones that both parents are already registered. In other words, It's totally backwards from the way it started.

10. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Bunnylady is correct. As an example, Colonels Smoking Gun is a crop-out paint. Both his sire and dam are QH, however, at the time he was foaled, he had too much white to allow him registry with the AQHA, however, they were able to register him with the APHA. Because AQHA has relaxed their rules re excessive white, Gunner was then allowed, at a later date, into the AQHA registry, therefore, he's now dual registered with the APHA and the AQHA.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by