crop problem i cant figure out

HelenDescoins

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 25, 2014
Durban, South Africa
Hi everyone, about 2 weeks ago my little chick got injured so I took her in and she's been staying with me so far but then about 1 week ago she started needing A LOT of water, I limited her water so she wouldn't get food supply, she eating fine but her breath/crops smells very bad! I message it and its full at night and empty by morning, she keeps getting air into the crop and then comes out like a 'burp' and it stinks A LOT! I don't know what it is?
Does anybody know what it is?
Thanks for any help!

I'm not an expert, but it sure sounds like sour crop, a yeast infection. I would try Monostat of Vagisil suppositories orally. Do a search of BYC for stories of how this has worked, but basically I think 1/3rd pill for an adult chicken, twice a day. I'd guess the dose for a chick would be whatever size will easily be swallowed. It should be non-toxic, as the inert ingredient is just vegetable oil.

Last edited:
My chick has now got an empty crop but there are now the saws on her mouth that look so painful:( they are yellow and go all up even from her throat. Is this sour crop or some other thing?
Thanks for any help!

I don't think sour crop would cause sores but don't take that as gospel. If I were you I would post in the emergencies injuries cures section https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures. Adding as much description and pics if you can. Wet fowl pox can cause sores on the inside of the mouth there are some articles on it in the learning centre. Hope you get a definitive answer and your chick is better soon.

Back
Top Bottom