Crop problems! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aeasley, Feb 10, 2013.

1. aeasley

aeasley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    I have a leghorn who is probably about 3. She is mostly blind and for the past few days was acting funny- isolating herself, not ranging, making no noise, not eating/drinking. She also seems to be blinder than usual. I noticed her crop was extra large and had been for a couple days. When I touched it it was very hard so I concluded it is impacted. I brought her indoors (its of course snowing here to make it all easier!) and gave her some oil, water, and very diluted gatorade to keep her hydrated. I have been massaging the crop once every hour or so since yesterday afternoon. it has gotten much softer and she has pooped a couple of times but it is not looking right (definitely is still there) and she still is acting strange. She has also had a couple of very stinky burps which makes me think the crop is sour too. Does anyone have advice?? I don't think I can do the crop surgery and am reluctant to take her to the vet. Please help!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    How is she now? Have you fed her yogurt and maybe some scrambled eggs. Hope all is well. [​IMG]

3. aeasley

aeasley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    She's all better! I ended up giving her some grit and that cleared it right up!! I mixed it with water oil and yogurt to hydrate too :) thanks for checking!!

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I'm very happy to hear that. Good job [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by