crop problems with baby chick!

merster

Hatching
Apr 7, 2015
I live in the Cayman Islands where chickens are feral and I found 2 baby chicks that I am guessing are around a week old by now. I bought food for them from the feed store but I don't think the guy sold me the right stuff! It has lots of seeds and one of the babies would only eat hard millet seeds. After a few days I realized his crop had turned into a little bean bag - full of seeds! And now it won't empty! I have tried mixing olive oil and coconut oil with ground up oats and cornmeal, and am trying to get her/him to drink lots of water but he/she hardly wants any. K massage the crop a lot and have soaked her bum in warm water to try and fet her to poop more. I can feel ways less seeds in there now but it is definitely swollen and way bigger than the other chicks. Any suggestions? I just love this little guy!

Give your chicks some grit. You can buy it at the pet store (don't get any the contains calcium), or just go out in your yard and get a scoop of dirt or sand. Put it in a bowl and they'll peck through it and get what they need. Then they'll be able to "chew" the seeds.

They have actually had access to lots of grit the whole time so I can't understand why this happened. Tonight, however, I noticed that that his/her crop has gone right down! Hooray! The concerning part is that there is hardly any poop anywhere...where did it all go? I wonder if stress can cause digestive issues?

Back
Top Bottom