Crop problems?

Rusty's Ranch

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
So Cal
We're super new to chickens and didn't realize we might have a problem ... both of our chicks started to grow larger on their right side breast. Never having chickens before, we thought is was odd, but since they were both developing the same, assumed it was normal (we noticed this a couple weeks ago).

Tonight it seems we have large lumps on each of them. Each bird has one lump on the right upper breast. The lumps are hard and are a little smaller than a golf ball. I'm reading about impacted crops. Does this sound like our problem, and if so now what do I do to fix it.

The birds are about 6 wks old and seem to be eating and running around fine. They have been on chick feed, but haven't had any grit until recently. They eat yogurt every other day. They run around in an enclosed run all day that has a dirt floor, we thought they would get enough grit by eating their feed off the ground. There is also some hay on the ground in their run, I suspect they are eating it - could this be a problem?

Any thoughts?

Sonia

Last edited:
I have been reading on here that you should take their food out over night and see if the lump goes down by morning.

do a search on impacted crop and you will get more info.

hope this is some help....
smile.png

During my search, an article came up that said larger crops on chicks and juvenile birds might be normal since they eat a lot during the day during their growth period.

We removed the feeder from their coop and will see if there's any change in the morning.

Thanks ... hopefully I'm worried for nothing. But they are just so precious you don't want to take any chances.

They were especially affectionate this afternoon (jumping all over me) and a little clingy and whiney when I left the run - hopefully they just missed me cause I worked a full day and it wasn't cause they were feeling poorly

I'll keep you posted,
Sonia

Hi there Sonia,

It's probably just a normal crop. As they get older, the crop gets bigger and can hold more food. My chickens have crops 2 to three inches in diameter after they have gorged themselves before settling down for the night. In the morning their crops are almost flat again.

I would remove the hay if they are eating it. I ended up with sand in my run because one of my chickens would eat straw, pine shavings, anything! She died of a sour crop.

A chicken with an impacted or sour crop will stop pooping, poop very little, or have runny smelly poop. The crop will be very large and will not smooth out overnight. It might "bounce" and remind you a bit of Mae West.

Thank you Renee and GaDawg ... it appears I'm just an overanxious newbie mom that knows nothing about chickens (but I'm learning). The girls had smooth chests this morning. I never knew exactly what the crop did or how it worked - now I do.

I love my girls so much and am so worried something is going to go wrong that everytime I notice something different on the birds I panic and assume the worst. I drive my husband crazy. (I was recently obsessed with the idea we might have scaly leg mites - in actuality I think their legs were just dirty!)

I'm cleaning out the run today and will swap out the hay for sand just to be safe.

Thanks for the support,
Sonia (crazy newbie chicken mom)

That's good to hear. Glad they are okay.

BYC is a great place to come and get answers and to relive some of the stress that we feel over our babies....lol

Have a great day!!!

bun.gif
jumpy.gif
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom