crop question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roy2636, Aug 25, 2016.

1. roy2636

roy2636 Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    ive been reading up on sour crop and other things, just so i know what to look for and have an idea of what to do, and im getting mixed messages about sour crop. after some reading about it i checked my hens crop lastnight before bed, some of the were pretty big and soft. i understand this is where food is stored, but on a few chickens the crop was fairly large. how do i know when its sour crop? will the crop always be hard when its sour crop? my chickens free range and always hae access to their feed and water in the coop, i also have a water bowl outside by the coop as well. some people make it sound like that if their crop is big its sour crop? am i reading to much into this?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    All chickens will have a full to partially full crop by evening, if they are eating. With normal digestion, the crop should be mostly flat or empty by early morning. An impacted crop is hard and full, while a sour crop is puffy and balloon-like. Those chickens would be feeling sick, and not be eating much.
    There are some good threads and articles to read if you search at the top of this page, or Google impacted or sour crop. I had chickens for 5 years before I ever saw a crop problem. Give them access to grit, keep long grasses cut , and keep their area free of debris because they will eat anything.

3. roy2636

roy2636 Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    thanks, ive read quite a few posts on here and saw different opinions on what sour crop really is. the only thing i dont give them is grit. they are free range and have access to dirt. ive had them about 6 months now, if they needed grit would i know by now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by