1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crop surgery - Anyone know success rate?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dkosh, Nov 10, 2011.

1. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I noticed one of my hens had an extremely large crop. When I picked her up she was skin and bones and the crop was huge. I felt she must have had something stuck in her crop. I wrapped her up and performed crop surgery. The amount of grass and leaves was unbelievable. It was a mass of debris the size of a softball and must have weighed 2 pounds. A lot of pussy fluid came out with it. I removed it flushed the incision site and I closed up the crop and then the skin. She popped right up and is walking around like nothing happened. My question is what is the chance she'll survive and if she makes it what is the odds it will re-occur?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I would like to know too?

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    From what I've read from other BYC members, It's very successful. As long as you flushed the crop with an antiseptic solution and kept everything as sterile as possible everything should be fine. I've seen quite a few bad crop impactions caused from allowing chickens to eat hay, straw and leaves. That's the reason I only use pine shavings. Hope she gets better.

4. dkosh

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Thank you! They are free range on the farm and we also have other livestock. Keeping 300 chickens from eating grass and hay is impossible. In the many years I've had chickens I can honestly say this was a first. So far she looks good. Do you know when can she start to eat regular food?

5. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:WOW! You have a lot of chickens....I understand why you can't keep them away from hay and etc. I'm not sure how long before they can eat regular food. Maybe you can start by giving her some scrambled eggs. Hopefully someone who has performed the same surgery will be able to help.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Much depends on how soon you catch the problem, how depleted the bird has become before you notice it. I have never had a successful one, personally(have done three). Thought the last one was. The clean out was fine, and she was on her feet afterward, but her crop still refused to pull food through and she died a few days later.

7. dkosh

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Thank you all for your replies. She is still doing ok but I'm not very hopeful though. Even though the incision site is clean and dry, and she is up and walking and talking. She has refused to eat or drink today. I've tried scrambled eggs, yogurt and apple sauce. Nothing. Not even water. Unless she starts to eat and drink her outlook is not looking good.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

One of mine did that, too, simply refused food and water afterward.

9. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I hope she feels better. [​IMG]

10. dkosh

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Update. She has started eating scrambled egg and apple sauce. I checked on her this morning and she got the bandage up over the incision site and pecked the incision open. She now has fluid seeping out of the incision site. I'm wondering if I should re-suture or let it close from the inside out. She still looks bright and is not looking like she is uncomfortable. This is a new experience for me so I'm not sure of my next move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by