Crop surgery recovery not going well

Ldybirdpartridge

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 23, 2011
New Hampshire
Two and a half weeks ago I discovered one of my hens had soy crop. Her comb was blue and she was falling over. With all the great info on this site I got the sour crop cleared only to find she was impacted. My vet who owns chickens was willing to attempt crop surgery. She found a softball size mound of grass. She recovered from the surgery well but it has been a week and her crop is stilling not emptying. I'm feeding her small meals every couple hours yogurt, egg, sifted layer mash, but I fear I was too lat in discovering and the crop is way too stretched out to do it's job. She's so hungry...I'm emotionally spent. An words of wisdom?

No words of wisdom here. Just sending healing thoughts your way. Sorry it isn't going as well as planned.

And
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately she did not make it. I had made a crop bra out of ace bandage. I think she had gone too long without enough nourishment. R.I.P. my sweet girl. I guess it's very important to act quickly when this occurs.

You did the best you could. Sometimes that's just not enough. So sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom