1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crop the size of tennis ball! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 13ChickenGirl, Jun 6, 2017.

1. 13ChickenGirl

13ChickenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2017
    Hi, I'm questioning sour crop on my hen, she is small and has a huge crop about the size of a tennis ball. It is squishy and I can feel stuff inside. She is pooping and eating and drinking fine. Is this sour crop?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They will have a rotten odor coming from the mouth if it is sour crop. It could be she just ate a lot.

13ChickenGirl likes this.
  3. 13ChickenGirl

May 20, 2017
    Thanks!

4. PatrickRoo

PatrickRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    Are you feeling grit or food inside of the crop rather than the crop just feeling squishy? Your hen may actually have a sour crop, a sour crop is more squishy feeling than a crop impaction and you can usually feel grit or food in the crop. Does your hen appear off color? Does she have bad breath yet from the crop? I'm surprised that your hen is still eating if she has sour crop. Do you have an avian veterinarian nearby? He or she could probably provide you with the best information possible about caring for a chicken with sour crop. :)

5. 13ChickenGirl

May 20, 2017
    I feel a bit of food inside. She acts completely normal except the abnormal crop size. I will smell her breath in the morning.

6. PatrickRoo

PatrickRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    Okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by