1. poros2001

poros2001 New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    Hi. Went down to coop this morning to get the chickens day going and noticed one of my pullets head was not "up." It seemed hunchbacked and I thought that one side was bigger than the other at the shoulder area. I am new to this. Then I realized that all the ducks were out, the other hens were, but the other pullet was not out. Went inside and it was laying limply by the feeder. Wrapped it in a blanket and brought it inside and it sounded wheezy and was "moaning." The eyes were white. Called others with chickens and they said to put the ill chicken out of misery. The other one now has it head up but still looks like it is protecting the one side. I have no idea what is going on. Any ideas? Thank you!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you have a way to take pictures?

-Kathy

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sometimes when the eye is closed it will appear white from the nictitating membrane or 3 eyelid. Was her neck arched downward or was she sitting puffed up with her neck drawn back into body? How is she doing now. Can she stand, or eating/ drinking? Any diarrhea. And her age?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by