Cross and Mix Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bantambury, Jan 21, 2014.

1. bantambury

bantambury life does go on.

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    The New official Cross and Mix Thread!

I have seen SOOOO many threads on breeds go far...I have seen mix threads pop up occasionally....BUT HERE is where we can incorporate ALL cross breed and mix breed birds!

Lets make this thread go FAR!!!

2. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I have some pics of the OEGB X Silkie crosses I used to have (back before I separated the breeds). I keep the breeds pure now. I gave most of them away a while back but still have a couple.
    Oegb roo bred with a buff silkie hen:
    [​IMG]

Same roo above bred back to a pure oegb hen (making her 3/4 oegb 1/4 silkie):
    [​IMG]

These chicks are from again the same rooster In the first pic, but bred to pure silkie hens, making them 3/4 silkie 1/4 oegb. They just looked like very poor quality silkies. Gave them to my friends son who was wanting some chickens:
    [​IMG]

These chicks are from the hen in the 2nd picture bred back to a pure oegb rooster, making them 7/8 oegb 1/8 silkie. If the male chick in the front didnt have 5 toes it'd be impossible to tell that he has a little silkie blood in him. These 2 little guys are my favorite. They fly on my shoulder when they want me to feed them:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  3. bantambury

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    This is Milkshake. He is a Japanese Bantam X splash silkie hatched on new years eve. I named him milkshake the instant he came out of the egg....his belly is white skin, his back was black! being mixed with a black skinned and white skinned chickens made min my "milkshake"
    His feathers are coming in nicely....a blueish color. his breast feathers are coming in mottled white and blue. his tail stands like a young jap, so hopefully sickle feathers will come! he has white and black skin, regular feathers, 5 toes, no crest, silkie eyes, and foot feathering.

[​IMG]
    This is Pumpkin. She is an ameraucana RIR red Sussex cross.....we THINK. LOL she is very sweet and sounds like a dick when she clucks....we have a joke and say she is 'part duck'. she had many names; what, stripy, and pumpkin....I named her pumpkin....she was super sweet and the color just fit her! she is one of our special ed chickens....she may be deaf after a near death experience from being hatched by a broody.

Please read pumpkin and her other flock member's stories here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-story-of-pumpkin-and-her-flock

[​IMG]
    This is Ed. She is an Americuana cross, having a pea comb and ONE green toe. she lays Olive eggs, making her a small olive egger.
    Ed was also another special Ed chicken...the first to hatch, he was the first to be injured so my sister named her ED. it sound sort of mean, but Ed likes her name. Ed was only pecked on the head....so we thought she was special.....after pumpkin hatched, we had no idea we would have another special chicken!

I hatched 6 of Ed's olive eggs on new years along with my silkie's egg, who turned out to be milkshake. when I get the time tonight I will send over some pics of ed's chicks, crossed with ed and my Japanese rooster. I call the chicks my 'OE cross crosses'.
    2 roos and 4 hens from that batch. ill send pics soon!

4. bantambury

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    they look like little phoenix hens! hahaha I WANT THEM! they are so cute!

5. bantambury

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    got pictures of Ed and Cadbury's chicks last night! all 3 weeks old one day today
    Ed is the tan hen I posted about in the top, Cadbury is my Japanese Bantam roo.

I see these chicks carrying traits of both breeds. only one of the 5 babies came out with a single comb; the others a pea comb. everyone has big tails and long wings like japs, but the long legs come from mama. the coloring? I don't know!

[​IMG] hen- Mari?

[​IMG] roo- (unnamed but I absolutely LOVE his tail feathering!)

[​IMG] hen- ivy?

[​IMG] hen- Woodstock

[​IMG] roo- Leven (already crowing!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by