cross beak dilemma

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hensandchickscolorado, Jul 6, 2011.

1. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    I have an 8 week old easter egger with a pretty bad cross beak. I got her at about 5 weeks old (no signs at all), and it came out around week 6. She is as big as the rest of the chicks (if not bigger), so she is definitely not malnourished. However, she does spend a lot more time at the feeder (especially when the other chicks are out in the run) and I'm sure it will probably get worse. It looks pretty dramatic to me.

I have 4 other chicks the same age--and this is my first experience with chickens.

Here's the dilemma: The breeder said she would replace the chick for me. As far as I can tell, I have four options:

1. Keep Jersey and see what happens. I don't think I'm in a position to syringe feed a bird, and I don't think I can handle watching one starve [​IMG]. I'm not really comfortable with the filing of the beak idea but I'd do it if I had to.

2. Return her and have four chickens (the breeder is wonderful; I'm sure she will do whatever is appropriate)

3. Replace her with a similar chick from the same group (my daughter will never know) but worry about adding a solo chick to the flock.

4. Get 2 more chickens so I don't have a pecking problem. However...I'll then have SIX chickens (maybe more than I can handle??).

Any thoughts or ideas? What would you do in this situation?? Thanks!

2. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    You could always do a switch at night time. They'll never know the difference!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by