Cross Beak questions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by allanimals21, Sep 25, 2010.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I know there are threads on this already. I looked though a few of them. I have a silkie cross chick with a cross beak. Pretty bad actually. It wasn't crossed when she was hatched it has just gotten progressively worse. She is over 6 months old now and seems to be thriving. I understand she probably won't do well outside with the general population. She will end up living with the rest of my special needs chickens. Which include 2 roos that lost their feet one of which lost its beak? Yea don't know how that happened. My questions are....I saw somewhere about having to trim it. How do I trim it? Like how much do I trim? I'm assuming pics would probably help with that. also is there anyway to fix it? She seems to be able to eat and drink fine.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    There's no way of fixing it. You can trim it by using a pair of nail clippers, holding the birds head stead, and just nipping off the tips of the beak. If you take off too much it will bleed and it's often hard to stop. You can use a finger nail file to sort of shape it. If it's real bad I doubt that trimming it will help it much though. If she's eating and drinking with it just fine I would leave her alone. Why fix something not broken?

3. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Hi
    I have two cross beaks. They are both less than a year old, but have adapted. I created a special feeder for them so they can really dig their beaks in and get food. The older one is very small and light for her age, but she is full of life. I have a rubbermaid container which has a couple inches of feed in the bottom and she has a ball trying to eat in it (she comes out after an hour with a good sized crop). I check her crop just about every day to make sure there is food in there.
    She's developed a method of eating by putting her head almost upside down into the feed. The younger cross-beak does okay, I just have to keep the rooster away so she can eat undisturbed.
    I also make up a mix of crumbles, water and electrolytes for the two cross-beaks to eat.
    They love yogurt, and because it sticks to their beaks, they can eat it pretty easily.

I did trim their beaks with really good scissors, carefully so as not to crack the beak. If you can have someone help so you can hold the beak and the hen while you are trimming, it is more secure. I trim only when the top beak curls down, blocking their access to food, or the bottom beak sticks out and gets caught on the feeder.

Be carefull! they are like dog nails. If you cut too far back, the beak will bleed. You have to progressively trim the beak back so they can eat better.

The first time, I was at a loss of how to trim a beak, so I brought my girl to a bird groomer. The groomer used a dremel tool with a grinder on the end and just ground the end of the beak. She couldn't do much though, because the beak was so crooked and it bled almost right away.
    I don't think my little hen appreciated the vibration from the dremel, either.

4. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:I was just wondering if there was a way to make it easier for her thats all. I guess we will just have to see how she does.

5. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Keep an eye on the top beak for the issue I mentioned earlier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by